Sunday, January 24, 2016

Why I run ?

I had big plans – back to back HMs on the weekend. The intention was to not lose the motivation from the SCMM triumphs of others and get my lazy self going.

Well, it didn’t go as per the plan. The Saturday morning run was fantastic. A cold foggy winter morning with temps of about 6degC was a perfect setting to get back into action. It was a slow paced run and am so glad and thankful for the company I had, to help me finish my HM distance. With no running for so long, it ached and pained and the last few kms were difficult. But I enjoyed it, especially when I had my post run staple breakfast of bread bhurji with a hot cuppa tea. The body was sore and somehow I reveled in that pain. However, the soreness meant only a slow 12km run on Sunday - another foggier cold morning. But what did I realize over the weekend was an affirmation to why I loved running:

1. Because I can. I am, now, a stronger, more confident, tougher version of my earlier self. Version 2.0 who has that strong mind to get the body out on the road for a run. And I will keep doing it. Over the years, I have surprised myself with the change in me - patience, perseverance, toughness – qualities that I have imbibed as a runner and I am not giving up on them.

2. Its just so badass to tell others that you went running despite the weather – be it the fog, rain or heat. Be it the sweat soaked t shirt on hot muggy day or the fully clad attire on a cold winter morning, if I am out there I am a ROCKSTAR!!!

3. The chit-chat and banter with the group is just so refreshing and a stress buster. These are friends with whom one can talk about weather, politics, films and even career status & family anecdotes. And sometimes during those early morning hours on the road, we let go of our fears, our worries, our problems as we soak in the energy and advice from the others.

4. Murakami’s says in his book “What I talk about when I talk about Running”, “We run to acquire a void.” So I run to find that void – where I step away from all the chaos – to emerge stronger, clearer on what needs to be done.

5. I have always said, running is my meditation on the move. When I run, deep in my thoughts – in the zone – the world around me becomes quiet. And with some of my running partners, we have reached that understanding when running is just that - the pounding on the road. We can run together for kms in silence - no talk but each of us sorting out our thoughts and getting that calmness that the world can wait till I am clear on what I have to do. .

6. Its that sense of accomplishment after a run – the “Runner’s High” which gets you going to face other areas of your life. It builds the belief in our own potential and self. It provides a purpose !! A sense of accomplishment has fueled the need to set bigger, more challenging ways to push myself, in each area of my life and has thus become a habit.

7. It’s a great way of getting that exercise done which will help me stay fit, allow me to eat as much as I can, fit into those nice slim pants hanging in the cupboard and hopefully keep all the dreaded diseases away.

8. Ofcourse, you get to wear all those nice fancy running gear and not because you can afford it but you have earned it !!!!! AND

9. It’s a great addiction to have !!!!

And so here's to running and more runs !!!

5 comments:

  1. What a great way to express your love for running....I am sure you have poured in all the emotions. Add to it the fact that running takes you to amazing places where you stop and wonder at the beauty of life....and running

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ofcourse.. Italy, Australia, Singapore- Enjoy Doc !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well put Rashmi and proud to be a running buddy although certainly not the quiet one:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well put Rashmi and proud to be a running buddy although certainly not the quiet one:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You need all kinds :) the quieter ones and not so quiet.. That's why it's such fun!!!

    ReplyDelete