Saturday, January 16, 2016

The race that was meant to be and then ....

It’s the night before the race,  the night before the annual running mela, the maa of all races in India – SCMM 2016. I have a bib number but I haven’t collected my bib. I am not carb loading or getting my running gear ready. Infact I am not in Mumbai. But at home writing this and will miss this year’s turbo charged SCMM. I have been at the start line of SCMM for the last 5 years – first 2 for a HM distance and last 3 for FM. I had all plans to run this edition too. But there I was, flying out of Mumbai on a Friday before the SCMM, when all my friends were flying in to Mumbai that same day, very well aware of all the fun and excitement of the weekend that I was leaving behind.

The countdown to SCMM, like all previous years, began in August last year when I did the registration for the race in the very first week. I even got D to register for the HM, this year. The hotel and air tickets were booked in September / October. In October, I started training for ADHM and the plan was to build it to a FM training post the ADHM. ADHM came and though not a strong performance but I was happy with the results with whatever little training I could manage – you reap what you sow !!! I got hold of a training plan which was to help me train for SCMM in January and a faster HM in February. And then…………..Life got in the way !!!!! What started as one missed training run, soon became two, three and before I realized I had a long list of excuses for missing all my runs!!
And it was with a heavy heart that I cancelled my tickets and the hotel booking end of December when I for sure knew that I was in no shape to run a FM distance in January.

I have always enjoyed my SCMM outings - despite the weather and the dreadful inclines at Peddar Road and Sea Link. I don’t know if it is the Mumbaikars who come out in big numbers to support the runners and are there all through the 42.2 km of the race, or meeting the running junta from all over India or the thrill of running on the Sea Link or that mixed feeling of joy and anxiety when you reach Marine Drive or the after race party at Leopold – and the party is always fun whether you have had a good race or a bad one – SCMM remains a very special running event.
Tomorrow as all you people – my special runner friends – run the streets of Mumbai, I will cheer for you from here, pray for you to have a strong and an enjoyable run and you in turn have an extra pint on my behalf at Leopold !!!

I, in the meanwhile, will get down to getting my life, I mean- excuses out of the way !!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment