Monday, February 1, 2016

Lacing it up !!

The transition from “no running” to “running” has begun. Discipline around sleeping early, eating well and in general about work life balance is slowing coming back. The schedule is still hectic, but I am making a conscious effort to take time out for a run. I don’t know if its the running that has caused this change in me to become more responsible towards managing my life better or the other way around. Either ways running figures in the scheme of things and so its confirmed – Running = “A Better me”.


What have I been upto 
  • Had planned back to back HMs last weekend but ran a 21km and a 12Km – happy that I dragged myself out on the road on a cold foggy morning. It was slow, easy with no time target. Just to get into the mode.
  • I was afraid this may remain a flash in the pan – but I followed it up with a 35 km this week, spread over 4 days. So more days of being in the routine. The soreness is gone and while I am still way slower than my best, but runs are easier now.
  • I am starting to feel fitter. Despite no running, I had held onto my weight but not to the fitness. I feel better, fitter, less bloated now. Those new tight pants are still in a wait mode but I am more hopeful now of wearing them soon than before.
  • Reviewed my 2016 targets and decided to start looking at them like a true corporate - on a Q-o-Q basis. For this quarter, I have a plan to run the NDM end February. The idea was for it to be faster than ADHM- may have to rethink on that. But am confident of turning up for this run. Unlike the Duathlon in early Feb – where I am scratching my head wondering why did I sign up for it. But the bib has been collected and so here's to some cycling and running. This will be followed by a 10k race in early March and that’s it for the first quarter.
The Not-so-good
  • Still not getting my desired quota of sleep. Not sleep deprived but can do with some more shut eye.
  • I am still not at that stage where I am following a plan or can follow a plan. I just hope that with whatever runs I can get between now and end Feb, I do a strong NDM.
  • Recovery is far from adequate and hence I am worried about injuries with the increasing mileage. Rest and recovery are an integral part of any training regime, and I need to spend more time stretching and rolling. 
Recent research shows that it takes about two months for a behavior to become a habit, debunking the inference from an earlier study that it takes 21 days.
And here I am hoping that for people on a second or third or “whatever it is”th cycle, its quicker !!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment