Monday, December 28, 2015

Lessons from the SEALs


It was very late on that Saturday night or more like a very early Sunday morning, that I was sitting up on my bed sick to the core, with a running nose, watery eyes and constant sneezing and debating on what to do about my 30km run in the morning. With no sleep in the eyes, I turned to the net to while away my time. And with those watery eyes, jumping from one article to the other, I spent the next 1 hour reading about the Navy SEALS. It was so motivating and inspiring that I showed up for my long run in the morning with just 3 hours of sleep and suffering from a bad cold. And went on to complete the run as well. (Disclaimer - I am not saying that reading about SEALs when you are sick and then showing up for a long run is a sensible thing!!!).

Anyways back to the Navy SEALS. Zero Dark Thirty and many movies before that have shown us how the SEALs do the unthinkable, the impossible and the most adventurous. And for that we are in awe of them. So much so that, one of us, an American entrepreneur named Jesse Itzler even got one of them to move in with him for 31 days to train him. Here is the link to the book he wrote about his experience living with a SEAL.
http://www.hachettebookgroup.com/titles/jesse-itzler/living-with-a-seal/9781455534678/
(The book was ordered that same very night and can be borrowed from me). He talks of how he was living on the edge always – there was no pattern to his days, there were no limits but how he enjoyed it immensely.

Why are the SEALs the way they are? What makes them so tough and so determined? The answer to that is in two parts –

One, starts at an individual’s decision to become a SEAL. Anyone who signs up for it knows its no party he is going for. It’s that person’s mental strength that makes him commit to this new life – and that’s what is true about running as well. You have to get that will power – to get up each day / alternate day be it hot, cold or rains and go for a run, to run those long distances in preparation for your races, to sweat it out. Running is a physical activity but its not guided by your body but by the mind and your will. The body just aids the process.

Two, is the training they go through. Here are a few training mantras that I picked up from the various articles I read that night and which are all so relevant for us runners too.

1. “When your mind tells you that you are done, you are only 40 percent done!!” – Don’t we all know about the famous “Wall” we hit in each of our HM and Full Marathons. It’s the mind that plays all those games with us. And we recover from it to finish our races. So believe in this rule and tell your mind “I am not done yet!!” at all those crucial moments and continue.

2. Do small things right – One of the commandments for the SEALs is - Make up your bed first thing in the morning –Start the day with an accomplishment even if its a small task and that one completed task will lead to a “high” to help you complete many more tasks. For me I have replaced “making my bed” with “get a run in the morning” and I am full of energy, a whole lot chirpier and in a good mood to tackle the day. The endorphins keep me on a “high” to keep accomplishing things during the day.

3. Suck it up – One of the punishments during SEAL training known as a "sugar cookie” is where a student is made to run, fully clothed into the surfzone and then, wet from head to toe, roll around on the beach until every part of the body is covered with sand and he stays in that that uniform the rest of the day--cold, wet and sandy. It may hurt and you may feel as you will collapse any moment during the run, but sometimes you have to suck it up – because there is no choice. The run has to be completed and finish line has to be crossed. One of the best advice I got for my Comrades run was – “Don’t Stop. Just keep moving – one foot in front of the other because thats the only way you will reach Durban.” And that’s what I did.

4. Visualise success – Imagine yourself at the finish line with Garmin showing the time you wanted, imagine yourself with your favorite drink in hand and narrating your race story to your friends post run – all these are ways to get yourself pumped up. I remember crossing the finish line dancing when I got my PB for the HM and now before a race I always visualize myself doing the same dance to charge myself. Another way is to run the route in your mind, with your strong body and mind carrying you through the course effortlessly.

5. Seek support and be a support – One of the sadistic incidents mentioned in an article was about an entire team being forced to stand in freezing water up to their necks, while their instructors told them they wouldn't let them out until five trainees gave up--and quit the entire course. And what did the team do - They started to sing. The instructor describes it as follows :

"The chattering teeth and shivering moans of the trainees were so loud it was hard to hear anything and then, one voice began to echo through the night--one voice raised in song," he said. "The song was terribly out of tune, but sung with great enthusiasm. One voice became two and two became three and before long everyone in the class was singing. We knew that if one man could rise above the misery then others could as well."

A shared goal, a common plan and training partners make a huge difference to your running. I would have given up running if not for the group I joined early on. I would not have achieved my sub-2 if it were not for the bunch of us who had this dream to get it done in that particular race and planned for it. The group’s enthusiasm, the collective knowledge can help not only a beginner but an experienced runner. My Comrade run would not have been possible if it were not for someone or the other from my group supporting me for those long tiring runs. (Thanks Ultrons!!) Join a group to get inspired and motivated and to inspire and motivate.

So lets be a SEAL in our own way and keep running !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment